Yes I LOVE to pack…I’m one of those people who not only packs her travel essentials at least a week before any trip but also helps others pack. I’m also usually one of those people who you can turn to and ask for first aid stuff,accessories to borrow and even stuff to snack on , on a trip.
No I don’t usually tug a massive suitcase along on every trip nor do I pay for excess baggage at airports (usually). I learnt to pack from one of my aunts who is an expert at this stuff and my mentor lol. She has traveled and covered almost all continents and years of experience have been passed on to moi !
So usually I make a list of things I would need on a trip by asking these questions –
– how many number of days am I travelling for ?
– what kind of holiday / trip is it ?
– will there be a lot of walking involved ?
– what will the weather be like?
– will I shop there ?
– will there before al evenings out or just casual dinners and quiet evenings ?
– where will I be staying ?
Based on this I chalk up a list of items I should carry and break it into number of days. Since I love my camera I always make sure I charge it beforehand and carry the charger along with an extra memory stick for long holidays. bug spray and sunscreen are travel essentials too !
I also take a copy of my passport and keep it handy /emergency use and carry the Indian consulate’s number as well.
I also have cute luggage tags for my bags so I can identify them from afar at the airport. In case you don’t want to spend on luggage tags you could also use bright color ribbons to tie to your bags.
While I love to pack before a trip , unpacking is one of my least favourite exercises , unless of course it’s been one of those trips to places like Dubai ,Thailand or Singapore and I’ve done a fair bit of shopping on those trips so I’m usually excited to show my loot to family and friends 😀
Work trips are the most boring to pack or unpack from followed by destination weddings that need too much planning and heavy Indian clothes to be folded and stuffed into suitcases #oof
Since I plan to walk around a fair bit in HK (in the sun) my hat and sunglasses are going to be my best friends in the day. For the evenings I plan to wear comfortable footwear since this trip is more about sightseeing and catching up with friends <;3
Can't wait to get started 😀 !
For months together people who know me well and have had the pleasure of meeting our darling Annie were all of the opinion that she called the shots in the relationship.
Annie and me the day we found her - my favorite picture with Anna ❤
No kidding , in Va’s words ” Annie takes you out for a walk” . Lol ! I made a spectacle of myself many an evening with me being dragged on carter road as Annie and I embarked on our mini adventures meeting pups, dogs and children on Carter Road in Mumbai.
Then one day ( this is the evening of the race when we all went over to Va’s to munch pizza and gossip) I decided to take the “leash” in my hands. That’s when I changed the way I spoke to Annie and I think that made all the difference.
All the dog lovers who have seen / read Marley and me can only agree that dogs are warm and loving but definitely need to be trained and taught. Now things are different , Annie sits when she is told to and stops when we say ” NO” . While I would love to take all the credit for this change in her behaviour , it wont be fair but I definitely think that the following things have helped us out break into this routine :-
- The VOICE :-Using a stern and in control voice with her really works. When giving her orders like “NO” , “SIT” , “STAY” we now use a stern and in control voice , vis-a-vis the “please Annie can we go “
- Gestures – Try to use your hands to communicate with the Dog. Over a period of time she has begun associating with certain gestures. Last evening I realised that she kept looking at me when I spoke to her, looking for cues I guess.
- Don’t spare the rod and spoil the dog :- In NO WAY am I recommending that you hit/beat/hurt the puppy/dog. Yet now as a co pet parent , I now have now started understanding the true meaning of “Spare the rod and spoil the child”. There are moments when Annie deserves a light tap on her nose and she gets it but now we have come to a point when my tone and hand gestures are clear indications that if she doesn’t behave she will get a ‘tap’ and that i think becomes an ego issue for her. ( The initial taps she walked away from us and sat in a corner with her paw on her nose – almost a “talk to the hand” gesture !).
- Reward – When your dog listens to what you say , let him/her know it. You could do this by cooing , patting her head or even by giving a treat to your pet.
- Spend time with your pet. Dogs are the most loving , loyal and perceptive creatures. It has now come to a point when if I am having a bad day or low Annie knows it and she plops herself next to me with her paw on my arm/foot – almost like a ” i’m here for you’. They need to feel they’re loved and wanted too ! Leaving them alone on their own for a long time makes them angsty and bratty , Annie is calmer when we spend time with her regularly and she is feeling loved 🙂
Having said all this Annie’s craziness takes over when she sees us after a long day at work , or meets somebody new or sees a puppy/animal smaller than her ( ya she’s a bully at times). Coming home to a loved and loving pet is the best feeling ever.
Have you trained your dog ? Do you have stories and tips to share ?
Oops….I stepped into the kitchen today and didn’t realise that the refrigerator door was ajar. I tried to push it close and when I did the 3 eggs fell onto the floor…
Yeah I know…I hate that smell too ! So here’s a quick remedy that worked for me…
– I took an old rag /dishcloth ( that I did not mind disposing off) and cleaned up the mess with it.This is key , as you want to ensure the egg doesn’t spread.
-Then I took some detergent and scrubbed the floor with that and the dishcloth (after I rinsed it thoroughly).
– Then I took Vinegar and poured it on that patch on the floor.
– Then I cleaned the patch again.
– Then I took some aroma oil and poured 2-3 drops on that spot.
And the smells vanished ! The Kitchen smells of lavender 😀
– The only exception to this is a marble floor, you should never use vinegar on marble floors.
– You can also pour table salt over the spilled egg.Wait for 10-15 minutes. The salt with absorb the goo of the egg and allow you to quickly mop up the mess without spreading egg whites all over your floor.